Stuffed Turkey Breast wrapped in Streaky Bacon

Saturday, 18 September 2010

So its Saturday which is my day for cooking, so I decided to make this recipe which is another recipe from my best friend Laura that I have adapted. My presentation is no where near as good as her's so I use already flat-ish turkey steaks rather than butterflying a chicken breast - which is beyond me! I was actually scared to make this dish because it looks sophisticated and hard to make but it is deceiving! So that is why this is perfect to make when you have guests or if you want to impress your special someone. I took some pictures to help you, but they are only on my phone as my camera seems to be playing up :s so not the best quality but better than nothing! :)


Preparation Time: 10-15 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
Serves: 2


Ingredients:
2 Turkey Steaks
4-6 Rashers of Streaky Bacon
2 Cherry Vine Tomatoes
Buffalo Mozzarella
Basil Leaves only around 5 or 6


Optional Sides - Home-made Wedges and Roasted Asparagus:
10 Asparagus Spears
1 Rasher of Streaky Bacon
2 Large Maris Piper Potatoes


Step 1:
Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees. Place your Turkey Steaks on a chopping board and cover them with cling film or a freezer bag, now here's the fun part :) if you have mallet ace if not get your rolling pin or something heavy (I'll leave that up to your imagination!) and smash the hell out of them! This is to make sure the meat is quite thin so it will cook evenly.

Photobucket




Step 2:
On a separate chopping board lie out 2 rashers of the bacon, carefully lift your flattened steak onto the bacon making sure it is right at the edge that is facing you (see below picture). Now slice one of your cherry tomatoes into quarters and place them in a horizontal line along the middle, then tear of pieces of the mozzarella and place this on top of the tomatoes. Next tear 2 or 3 basil leaves into small pieces (never chop and don't use dried!) and cover the cheese. Add a twist or 2 of black pepper and your filling is sorted.

Photobucket


Step 3:
Here's the kind of tricky part that I always get nervous about - the wrapping up. You may be tempted to add more filling then I have stated above - don't! Your steak will be impossible to roll up and everything will just fall out, believe me there is plenty of flavour going on. So what you want to do is grab the bottom of the steak (the part that's closest to you) making sure you have a firm hold of the bacon underneath as well and tightly roll it up like a sausage roll away from you. It may take you a few times to get it but never mind! If you are left with bits of turkey out the end just fold them up and tuck them in under the bacon. You should be left with the below! 

Photobucket

Step 4: 
Repeat steps 2 and 3 so you are left with 2 nicely wrapped Turkey Steaks.


(Optional)Step 5:
If you got a 6 pack of bacon then you are left with 2 rashers (or like me only 1 because the boyfriend needs 3 rashers :P). So grab 5 Asparagus spears and snap off the woody ends. Now simply lie a spare rasher onto the chopping board, place your spears in the middle and tie up so your left with a little bundle of Asparagus. Repeat with the next 5 Asparagus spears and add a twist of pepper to your them. If you have a greedy boyfriend like me and you only have one rasher left just cut it through the middle ta da 2 rashers :P

Photobucket

(Optional) Step 6: 
Grab your Potatoes and cut them up into chips or wedges. I end up with wedges as for some reason I am incapable of cutting them into chips :p. Place your wrapped turkey steaks and wedges onto an oiled baking tray. Cover your wedges in pepper and sea salt, and place the tray in the oven for 30 mins.

Photobucket


(Optional) Step 7:
After 30 mins, add your Asparagus bundles to your tray in the oven and cook for a further 15 mins.


Step 8:
Serve and Enjoy! 

Photobucket


I hope you have enjoyed this recipe and the pictures make you want to try this for yourself! It definitely went well with the boyfriend and I must say best meal I've cooked in awhile was really tasty! Stay tuned for the ultimate dessert coming up later - Chocolate Cobber.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pasta Crap Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino